Home | Community | Search | Buying Information | Selling Information | Privacy Policy | REO Services | Sitemap
Community -> Okaloosa County -> Eglin Air Force Base
Eglin Air Force Base Recreation

Eglin Air Force Base

Team Eglin consists of Air Force Material Command and the Air Armament Center.

The 33rd Fighter Wing is a flying combat unit of the 9th Air Force under Air Combat Command and a large part of Eglin Air Force Base. The 308 Armament Systems Wing of Eglin Air Force Base develops, procures, deploys, and sustains air-to-ground and ground-to-ground weapons to increase the overall effectiveness of the Air Force. The 919th Special Operations Wing maintains aircraft designed for covert operations at Duke Field on Eglin Air Force Base.
Eglin's 46th Test Wing tests and evaluates air-delivery weapons, guidance systems, and navigation systems. The 53rd Wing, headquarted at Eglin Air Force Base, is responsible for testing every bomber, fighter, unmanned vehicle, and weapon system in the Air Force's inventory. Eglin 96th Air Base Wing supports all of Eglin with military services and other services such as personnel, civil engineering, logistics, communications, security, and tech and medical services.

Welcome to Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. Use our MLS listing search to search for Eglin Air Force Base real estate and MLS listings.

History of Eglin Air Force Base

In 1931, representatives from the Air Corps Tactical School of Maxwell Field in Alabama visited Northwest Florida and saw the possibilities of the sparsely-populated forests around Valparaiso and the wide expanse of the nearby Gulf of Mexico. James Plew, a local entrepreneur and airplane enthusiast, believed a military presence could lift the economy of the area out of the depression, and so leased 137 acres from the City of Valparaiso where an airport was built in 1933. The next year, Plew donated 1,460 contiguous acres to the U.S. government for a gunnery base and bombing range. With an established headquarters, the Valparaiso Bombing and Gunnery Base was activated under Captain Arnold Rich's command June 14, 1935. These were the beginnings of the modern-day Eglin Air Force Base.

With World War II under way in Europe, Eglin established an aircraft armament proving ground. On June 27, 1940, Congress transferred most of the lands of the Choctawhatchee National Forest to the War Department (now the Department of Defense) from the U.S. Forestry Service. The next year, the War Department activated the Air Corps Proving Ground (later renamed as Proving Ground Command). This made Valparaiso the gunnery training site for all fighter pilots in the Army Air Forces, and a major tactical, equipment, and aircraft testing site. In 1942, Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Doolittle trained his B-25 crews at Valparaiso for their attack on Tokyo. During this time, many auxiliary fields were built on the reservation, and many still exist today, either supporting flight operations or as special testing sites.

With the end of World War II, Valparaiso was the home of cutting-edge military technology, developing missile launch techniques and drones, or unmanned aircraft. In 1948, Valparaiso's name was officially changed to Eglin Air Force Base, in honor of Lieutenant Colonel Frederick Irving Eglin, a military pilot and instructor who trained aviators during World War I. Colonel Eglin died when his Northrop A-17 crashed during a flight between Langley, Virginia and Maxwell Field, Alabama.

Two years later, the Department of Defense established the Air Force Armament Center on Eglin Air Force Base. When the Korean War broke out, testing teams from Eglin were stationed in the combat theater for live testing exercises. The Air Force's Armament Center and Proving Ground command combined in 1957 into the Air Proving Ground Center, which was redesignated in 1968 as the Armament Development and Test Center, a central point responsible for researching, developing, testing, evaluating, and acquiring non-nuclear weapons for the U.S. Air Force.

Eglin Air Force Base housed and processed 10,000 refugees from Southeast Asia in 1975, when Eglin served as one of the U.S.'s four major Vietnamese Refugee Processing Centers. Eglin performed this feat again when it processed over 10,000 Cuban refugees who fled Cuba in April and May of 1980.

Restructuring in 1992 disestablished the parent command of Eglin Air Force Base, which then merged with another command -- the Air Force's Systems Command and Logistics Command were combined to form the Material Command, which is still Eglin's parent command today. Six years later, the Air Force's Development Test Center was redesignated the Air Armament Center for the Material Command. This unit's responsibilities include developing, acquiring, fielding, and testing all of the United States' air-delivered weapons. Eglin Air Force Base also houses two United States Historic Landmark Districts: Eglin Field and Camp Pinchot.

Today, the base consists of over 463,000 acres across three Florida counties, Walton, Okaloosa, and Santa Rosa.

Information provided by Eglin Air Force Base. You can contact them at:

Eglin Air Force Base
Eglin AFB, FL 32542-5000
(850) 882-1110

Eglin Air Force Base Recreation

Parks

Eglin Reservation
State Highway 85
Niceville, FL 32578
(850) 664-1261

Golf

Eglin AFB Golf Course
1527 Fairway Drive
Niceville, FL 32578
(850) 678-8726


We are members of:
the National Association of Realtors, the MLS Listing Serivce, the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, the Niceville Chamber of Commerce,
the Tri-County Community Council, and the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Equal Housing Opportunity.
Our listings are featured on:
Yahoo! Real Estate, Homes.com, Homegain, Talking House, Google,
Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
Website designed and maintained by DB Web Creations.