Home | Community | Search | Buying Information | Selling Information | Privacy Policy | REO Services | Sitemap
Community -> Washington County -> Chipley
Chipley Utilities | Chipley Recreation

Chipley

Welcome to Chipley, Florida.

There are 3 residential real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 0 commercial real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 6 vacant land real estate listings for sale in Chipley.
There are 9 total real estate listings for sale in Chipley.

10 Real Estate Listings Found

Displaying 1 to 10

1.   773910
675 Main Street, Chipley
$161,900.00
2300 square feet, 4/3, 1958

2.   765580
1163 Mockingbird Lane, Chipley
$155,000.00
1565 square feet, 3/2, 1977

3.   763398
4407 Ada Drive, Chipley
$99,999.00
1328 square feet, 3/2, 1991

4.   759247
33 Pike Pond Road, Chipley
$1,940,000.00

5.   758609
Lot 2 Butterfield Court, Chipley
$49,000.00

6.   753940
Lot 16 Gulliver Drive, Chipley
$9,500.00

7.   752026
0000 Covington Place , #lot 4,5,6, Chipley
$29,700.00

8.   751749
5223 Pine Ridge, Chipley
$238,000.00
1932 square feet, 3/2, 2001

9.   734664
978 Joiner Road, Chipley
$89,000.00

10.   560870
3385 Cardinal Place, Chipley
$39,900.00


1 |

History of Chipley

In 1882, the community of Orange was founded and renamed Chipley. It was the year the Pensacola & Atlantic (later L & N) Railroad was completed beyond the town site.

Ironically, since Washington is still a dry county today, the first business enterprise was a wine shop that had been established on the site in 1881 by B. W. Berry, who also operated a pre-Prohibition Era whiskey distillery on land that nearly a century later would become Falling Waters State Park Recreation Center, just south of Chipley on Hwy 77.

Berry's business however came to an end in 1899, when the Washington County electors voted by a narrow margin to prohibit the manufacture or sale of alcoholic beverages within its boundaries.

Construction of a railway siding was completed in 1882 beside what was to become known as Tank Pond, near today's Agricultural Center and City Hall. Water was pumped from the pond into an elevated tank, where the steam-driven locomotives stopped to re-supply. The locomotives also obtained supplies of wood for fuel.

The original name of Orange, was probably for Orange Hill, the most prominent neighboring community.

Initial plans called for a town to be platted beside the railroad on a hill perhaps three or four miles east of Tank Pond, near the future site of the National Egg-Laying Test Site (Poultry Experiment Station). That site was then in Jackson County, a circumstance that prompted some of the Orange Hill and other Washington County promoters to seek a site in their county. They visualized county seat status for the proposed town, but they realized it could not be achieved in Jackson County. Marianna, then the largest town on the railroad east of Pensacola, had been well-established as the seat of government for Jackson County for half a century.

So the prospective promoters of the new town - Col D. H. Horne, Capt. Angus McMillan, Capt. G. W. Cook, Maj. W. J. Vankirk and J. M. Callaway, among others- approached Col. W. D. Chipley, manager of the new railroad, with the idea of moving the proposed town site into Washington County.

Col Chipley, persuaded by his friends, some of them former fellow-Confederate Army officers, accepted their proposal. Maj. Vankirk acquired title to 80 acres of land, which was then surveyed by Col. Horne, and would become the town's basic business district.

Soon after the site decision was made, the men named the town Chipley in honor of the railroad builder. As the town developed, however, its northern and eastern sections spread into Jackson County. That created problems, particularly for law enforcement and school officials, and that led to a border adjustment in 1915 that gave Chipley more Washington County"elbow room."

Chipley's railway station and post office were originally located in railway box cars. Chipley's first school was called Limestone, named for Limestone Church about half a mile from town. The school's name was changed to Chipley just after the town was established in 1886. It was located near the site of today's county jail and about the same time, the Methodist Church that now stands at the top of the hill on Jackson Street, was built around the same time.

Among Chipley's first merchants were William Tiller and a Mr. Matthew. H.D. Feagan was the town's first druggist. Dr. R. B. Bellamy was the first physician and Dr. A. D. Brown was the town's first dentist. A Mr. Thompson was Chipley's first lawyer.

Major Vankirk started selling lots from his 80-acre parcel. Lots facing the railroad were 50 feet wide and 140 feet deep and sold for $40 each, while the residential, or back lots, were sold for $20 each. Among the first residents of Chipley were William Tiller, Capt. McMillan, and Ed Daniel. Other early settlers included T. J. Jones, Sol Ellis, Dr. Bellamy, Dave Farrior, Henry Faust, J. M. Callaway, Daniel Williams and Billy Williams. A Baptist church was built in 1889 on a lot later occupied by G. M. Meyers.

The Collier House, a boarding house, was in existence prior to 1890 near today's Chipley Motel. The Chipley Hotel was completed in 1890.

Dekle & Company, private bankers, brought Chipley its first banking services in 1899. The First National Bank was organized in 1905, and the Chipley State Bank was formed a year later.

When Chipley was reincorporated in 1901, the city authorized the issuance of $10,000 in bonds to finance the construction of a municipal water system and a school building. In 1902, the Presbyterian Church was built.

In 1905, the Birmingham Columbus & St. Andrews Bay Railroad started construction from Chipley southward. In 1910, a $22,000 bond issue was sold to finance improvements to the water system, and in 1913 the city approved a franchise to Chipley Light & Power Company for the installation and operation of an electric light system. CL&PC later added an ice making plant.

In 1919, a $60,000 bond issue financed the installation of a sewer system and improvements to the existing water system. A few downtown streets were paved in 1922 a year later, sidewalks were installed over a wider area of town.

In 1926 Gulf Power Company acquired CL&PC and was granted a franchise to furnish electricity within the city.

Chipley became the Washington County seat of government in 1927, then a courthouse and jail were built within a few years.

Information provided by the City of Chipley. Need a relocation packet? Contact the Washington County Chamber of Commerce at:

Washington County Chamber of Commerce
685 7th Street
P.O. Box 457
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-4157

Chipley Utilities

Electricity/Gas

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Gulf Power
1-800-225-5797

West Florida Electric Co-Op
(850) 263-3231

Gulf Coast Electric Co-Op
(850) 265-3631

Water/Sewer

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Garbage

City of Chipley
(850) 638-6350

Telephone

BellSouth
(850) 780-2344

Satellite/Cable

DirecTV
1-800-347-3288

Miscellaneous

Department of Motor Vehicles
1335 Cherry Avenue
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-6155

Chipley Recreation

Parks

Falling Waters State Park
1130 State Park Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Blue Lake Park
1865 Highway 77
Chipley, FL 32428

Wages Lake
4476 Ada Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Crystal Lake
3287 Crystal Lake Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Daniels Lake
2610 Daniels Lake Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Gin Lake
1366 Gin Lake Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Gap Lake
3953 Harbor Place
Chipley, FL 32428

Gin and Bream Lake
1365 Gin Lake Drive Chipley, FL 32428

Griffin Landing
3884 Cavalier Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

Litard Log Boat Ramp
1844 Litard Log Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Little River Lake
3915 Little River Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Lucas Lake
3474 Lucas Lake Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Porter Lake Retreat II
3516 Lakeside Drive
Chipley, FL 32428

St. Joseph Park
1350 Monroe Sheffield Road
Chipley, FL 32428

Stewart Lake
3210 Sweet Water Trail
Chipley, FL 32428

Tom Johns Landing
4909 Porter Pond Road
Chipley, FL 32428

White Double Lake
1377 Washington Blvd.
Chipley, FL 32428

Golf

Falling Waters Country Club
1317-A State Park Road
Chipley, FL 32428
(850) 638-7398


We are members of:
the National Association of Realtors, the MLS Listing Serivce, the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, the Niceville Chamber of Commerce, the Tri-County Community Council, and the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Equal Housing Opportunity.
Our listings are featured on:
Yahoo! Real Estate, Homes.com, Homegain, Talking House, Google,
Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
Website designed and maintained by DB Web Creations.